Everything in the entire universe is reliant upon the infinite power of God. From the growth of a tree to the heart that rejoices over the forgiveness of sins, all things depend on God for their purpose and being.
DEFINING THE TERM
- The omnipotence of God means that God is all-powerful or possess all power.
- One of God’s names in the Old Testament is El-Shaddai, literally meaning Strong One Almighty.
- Any strength that you can produce is ultimately from God.
- God can do whatever he pleases – “Whatever the LORD pleases, he does.” Psalm 135.6
- God can do more than we imagine – “Now to him who is able to do far more abundantly than all that we ask or think…” Ephesians 3.20
- Nothing is difficult or impossible for God – “…with God, all things are possible.” Matthew 19.26
- God never loses power – “They will perish, but you will remain…your years have no end.” Psalm102.26-27
- God never misuses power – “…he remains faithful, for he cannot deny himself.” 2 Timothy 2.13
- God’s power is invincible, and it cannot be overcome – “…no plan of Yours can be thwarted.” Job 42.2
“Since He has at His command all the power in the universe, the Lord God omnipotent can do anything as easily as anything else. All His acts are done without effort. He expends no energy that must be replenished. His self-sufficiency makes it unnecessary for Him to look outside of Himself for a renewal of strength. All the power required to do all that He wills to do lies in undiminished fullness in His own infinite being.” A.W. Tozer
GOD’S POWER IN THE ORDINARY
- God demonstrates his power in the everyday circumstances of life.
- God answers the prayers of His people – “I waited patiently for the LORD; he inclined to me and heard my cry.” Psalm 40.1
- God provides us with all we need to know and serve him – “And God is able to make all grace abound to you, so that having all sufficiency in all things at all times, you may abound in every good work.” 2 Corinthians 9.8
- God heals sickness and disease – “Bless the LORD…who heals all your diseases.“ Psalm 103.3
GOD‘S POWER OVER CREATION
God possesses power to create everything in the universe out of nothing.
- Stars – “He determines the number of the stars; he gives to all of them their names. Great is our Lord, and abundant in power…” Psalm 147.4-5
- Thunderstorms – “When he speaks in the thunder, the heavens roar with rain. He causes the clouds to rise over the earth.” Jeremiah 10.13
- Oceans – ”…who calls for the waters of the sea and pours them out upon the surface of the earth— the LORD is his name.” Amos 9.6
GOD’S POWER FOR SALVATION
There is no one too difficult for God to save.
- God is able to save the worst of sinners – “For everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved.“ Romans 10.13
- The gospel is God’s power at work – “the gospel…is the power of God for salvation to everyone who believes.“ Romans 1.16
- God’s power raises the dead – “And God raised the Lord, and will also raise us up by his power.“1 Corinthians 6.14
WHAT DOES THIS MEAN FOR US?
- With a correct view of God’s omnipotence, we are moved to pray big prayers. If he can speak the universe into existence, can he not handle the seemingly impossible circumstances that we face?
- Because God is a good, righteous, and holy God who will never abuse His power, we can confidently trust that he will always remain faithful towards us, even when we fail to be the image bearers we were created to be.
- Serving an all-powerful God takes all the pressure of salvation away from us. We can share the gospel with others, knowing that He is the one who does the saving work of bringing sinners from death to life.