Matthew 1:18-25 – You never know what lies on the other side of your obedience!
Joseph’s dilemma- “she was found to be with child” (vs.18)
- Only assumption was that Mary was unfaithful.
- The law said Joseph had to divorce Mary.
- Joseph had to be confused, heartbroken and felt betrayed.
- Joseph loved Mary deeply.
Joseph’s character-“just man” (vs. 19)
- Shame is the powerful feeling of humiliation.
- Joseph’s love granted Mary dignity and value.
- Joseph’s love prevented Mary from being made a spectacle.
- Joseph was kind and compassionate to someone he perceived had done him wrong.
- Joseph’s dream – “as he considered these things” (vs.20)
Joseph had much to ponder and much to fear.
- God gives grace just at the right time.
Joseph’s fear – “do not fear” (vs. 20)
- Fear of embarrassment.
- Fear of ridicule.
- Fear he wasn’t up to the task.
- Fear people would not understand the explanation.
Joseph’s obedience- “he did as the angel of the Lord commanded him” (vs. 24)
- Joseph was brought into a much larger story.
- Joseph had the privilege of rearing the King of the world.
- Joseph received the one message that would be the hope of mankind.
- Joseph’s legacy goes on today.
- How do we treat people who hurt or embarrass us?
- Fear Not – God will give you the ticket at just the right time.
- Fear Not – You never know what lies on the other side of your yes!
- Fear Not – Come to Jesus today.
- You never know what lies on the other side of your obedience!