- The Pharisees would invite Jesus into their houses but were reluctant to let him into their hearts. (v.1,4,6-7)
- When Jesus encounters injustice and sin, He must call it out. (V. 2-3,4-5,7)
- Jesus sought to examine the motivating factors within a person that prompted the outward action (v.11)
- Pride leads to humiliation. (v.8-9)
- Humility leads to exaltation (v.10-11)
- Jesus is the ultimate example of humility. (v.11)
- Pride before God will lead to our eternal ruin; humility before God will lead to our eternal salvation.
- Christian identity is ultimately in Christ, not our status, power, authority, or position.
- Knowing our identity is in Christ, we are free to relentlessly prioritize humility.
- Ultimate exaltation happens not in this life, but in the next – in the presence of our Savior.