Honest with Others (1:5-7)
- We must stop blaming God for the world’s darkness when it’s our lives attempting to conceal the light (1:5).
- If you are defiantly practicing sin, you cannot be walking closely with God (1:6).
- Spiritual honesty allows us to have fellowship with God and others (1:7).
Honest with Ourselves (1:8-9)
- When you deny or justify personal sin, the only person you deceive is yourself (1:8).
- You cannot conceal your sin, so God’s offer is for you to confess it (1:9).
- To say you are righteous makes you more unrighteous, but to admit you are unrighteous is the only way to become righteous (1:9).
Honest about God (1:10)
- If we deny Scripture’s claim that we are all sinners, we label God the liar (1:10).
- Sin desires to distort your thinking so that the only guiltless one is yourself (1:10).
- God is light
- I’ve dwelt in the dark
- Jesus’ sacrifice is the only hope for light I’ve now got