For December 2019, I am preaching through a series entitled, “He Shall Be Called.” We will study the four names prophesied in Isaiah concerning the coming Messiah.
For to us a child is born,
to us a son is given;
and the government shall be upon his shoulder,
and his name shall be called
Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God,
Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.
This prophecy answers four of society’s critical questions:
- Can I trust Jesus’ teaching? He is the Wonderful Counselor.
- Is Jesus really God? He is the Mighty God.
- Does Jesus even care for me? He is the Everlasting Father.
- Is Jesus able to make peace out of this mess? He is the Prince of Peace.
Taking each of those titles, we will study a passage from the life of Jesus to show how he is the fulfillment of all those prophecies.
We finished up Malachi last Sunday which prepared us for the coming Messiah. I am so eager to show how Jesus is the fulfillment of the Old Testament and the answer to our current unrest!
- 12.8 – Wonderful Counselor [Luke 6:46-49] – In a world full of conflicting advice, Jesus eagerly points us in wise directions. Not only are we blessed by hearing His guidance but by obeying His counsel.
- 12.15 – Mighty God [John 8:48-59] – Since we could not make it to God, God came for us. Jesus was more than a godly man, but the God-Man who provided redemption.
- 12.22 – Everlasting Father [John 14:1-11] – Due to the frailties of earthly fathers, many people struggle to embrace God as a Heavenly Father. If you have ever wanted to know what God the Father is like, look no further than His Son.
- 12.29 – Prince of Peace [John 14:25-31] – In a world where chaos abounds, where are we to find peace? Following Jesus provides the only path to experiencing unshakable peace.