The Question: What are common objections or obstacles to responding to Jesus?
Where We Are
- Religious ignorance is the norm.
- Some are against God, some look for God in the wrong place, most are indifferent.
But even if you should suffer for righteousness, you are blessed. Do not fear them or be intimidated, but in your hearts, regard Christ the Lord as holy, ready at any time to give a defense to anyone who asks you for a reason for the hope that is in you. – 1 Peter 3:14-15
- In all circumstances, be ready to give an answer.
Why Do People Ask Questions
- An unwillingness to forsake sin.
- An honest expression of doubt and confusion.
- John Stott: “We cannot pander to a man’s intellectual arrogance, but we must cater to his intellectual integrity “
How To Respond to Questions
- Answer and move on. (John 4:20-24)
Our Reactions To Questions
- Don’t be intimidated.
- Avoid an argument.
- Answer questions in the right spirit.
- Don’t be afraid to say, “I don’t know the answer to that question.”
- Study to find answers. (1 Peter 3:15)
- Use sincere compliments when appropriate.
- Present the entire gospel if at all possible.
- Keep the focus on Jesus Christ throughout the discussion. (John 12:32)
- Deal with people as people, not as projects. (1 Thess. 2:8)
- Trust the work of the Holy Spirit. (1 Cor. 3:6)