The Question: What would you say to someone questioning their salvation?
The Possibility of Assurance
I write these things to YOU who believe in the name of the Son of God so that you may know that you have eternal life. – 1 John 5:13
- What you’ve done (Matthew 7:22)
- What you haven’t done (Luke 18:11)
- Promises of God
I tell you the truth, whoever hears my word and believes Him who sent me has eternal life and will not be condemned; he has crossed over from death to life – John 5:24
I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; no one can snatch them out of my hand – John 10:28
- Witness of the Holy Spirit
The Spirit himself testifies with our spirit that we are God’s children — Romans 8:16
Questions To Ask
Consider this evidence from 1 John.
- Do you enjoy worshiping God (1 John 1:3)?
- Do you have an awareness of your sin (1 John 1:8)?
- Do you seek to be obedient to the Word of God (1 John 2:3)?
- Do you love other Christians and want to be with them (1 John 3:14)?
- Do you display the fruit of the Spirit (1 John 4:13, Gal. 5:22-23)?
Steps When You Are Unsure
- Asking is a good start
- Seek Counsel
The Application: What steps do you need to take to be sure of your salvation? Who do you need to pray for their salvation?