Jesus expects us to give, but he desires that we not give with a need to be noticed. The only recognition that a generous heart should seek comes from God.
Don’t be needy when giving to the needy; rather be a giver, who needs to give.
What’s your motivation for giving? (6:1)
- Jesus gives caution to practicing our righteousness with a motive that seeks the praises of people.
- When the applause of others is at the heart of our actions, the condition of our heart is exposed.
- Action on your part, that seeks a reaction on their part, is a distraction from the Father.
What’s your methodology in giving? (6:2-4)
- Jesus expects us to meet needs and give to the needy.
- God desires for our external displays of our righteousness to be consistent with that which is happening internally.
- Joy-filled, generous giving is a not a penalty for those who follow Jesus but rather an opportunity to join Him in meeting needs.
Ask yourself these questions:
- When you give, who is your audience and what is your motive?
- Who will receive honor and glory from this?
- What is my reward?