While divorce is permitted in the Bible, it is never promoted in the Bible. Learn what Jesus had to say about those considering dissolving a marriage union.
- Divorce is not the unforgivable sin.
- Just because a sin can be forgiven does not mean that it should be casually committed.
- Shaming a person for a divorce is not honoring to God or helping anyone else.
Biblical Expectations (5:31-32)
The Original Law (5:31)
- God’s original provision for divorce was not to encourage it to happen but to ensure the process remained civil if it did happen (Deut. 24:1-4).
- Sinful married men would often abandon, abuse, or append their wives.
- One purpose of the certificate of divorce was God’s unique desire to protect women.
The Needed Mindset (5:32)
- Since marriage is something that God ordained, it should not be cast aside as some temporary or conditional agreement.
- Divorcing for the trivial and remarrying for the convenience actually reveals that the involved parties have committed adultery.
- The effects of sexual immorality are so severe that God allows divorce in such a case.
- While divorce is permitted in the Bible, it is never promoted in the Bible.
- If you are considering divorce, realize that it will never completely free you from an undesirable spouse.
- If you initiated an unnecessary divorce, consider how you could seek forgiveness.
- If you experienced an unwanted divorce, you will never remove the effects completely, but you can recover from it significantly.
- If you have witnessed the devastation of another’s divorce, evaluate what happened so you will be less likely to repeat it.
- Equip Tonight – Divorce-Proofing Your Marriage
- Divorce Care Course – Registration Available Online
- Date Night – Register for Valentine’s Day Weekend
- Online – Search “marriage” on rockycreek.church
- Counseling – Email email@example.com