David dismayed the effects that atheism has on a person and on a society. People often deny the reality of God so that they can redefine the commandments of God.
- Atheist – believes there is “no God”
- Agnostic – believes there is “no knowledge” to determine if God exists
- Practical Atheist – denies God with a careless lifestyle
14:1 The fool says in his heart, “There is no God.”
They are corrupt, they do abominable deeds;
there is none who does good.
2 The Lord looks down from heaven on the children of man,
to see if there are any who understand,
who seek after God.
3 They have all turned aside; together they have become corrupt;
there is none who does good,
not even one.
4 Have they no knowledge, all the evildoers
who eat up my people as they eat bread
and do not call upon the Lord?
5 There they are in great terror,
for God is with the generation of the righteous.
6 You would shame the plans of the poor,
but the Lord is his refuge.
7 Oh, that salvation for Israel would come out of Zion!
When the Lord restores the fortunes of his people,
let Jacob rejoice, let Israel be glad.
The Atheist Doesn’t Seek God [Ps. 14:1-3]
- “Fool” doesn’t mean one who is mentally lacking but one who is morally deficient (14:1).
- The soul unable to believe in God’s existence is unable to live according to God’s righteousness (14:1).
- If I deny the One who is good, I cannot do good (14:1).
- Sin is our reckless attempt to live as if there is no God (14:2-3).
God Still Seeks the Atheist [Ps. 14:4-7]
- Resisting God eventually leads to persecuting God’s people (14:4).
- Atheists seek to ease their consciences by silencing believers through frantic, antagonistic efforts (14:5).
- The perseverance of believers is a final reminder to atheists that God exists, and He keeps those who belong to Him (14:6).
- While atheists refuse to seek God, He still pursues them (14:7).
- We were all practical atheists before God sought us (14:1, 5).
- Jesus is the salvation that comes down from Zion (14:7).
Next Step: Do you have an intellectual or practical atheist for whom you are praying and preparing will receive the gospel?