- How we revere the name of God indicates the manner in which we value who He is.
- To misuse God’s name is to attach it to empty purposes.
- Taking God’s name in vain can involve speech or actions.
- God takes this commandment so seriously that disobeying it deserves death (cf. Lev. 24:10-16; Rom. 6:23).
- Never utilize God’s name in a crass or cursing way.
- Avoid flippantly attaching God’s name to your plans so that no one challenges you.
- Be careful not to make false oaths by swearing to God what you do not intend to do.
- Beware of speaking names of God with which your heart or head is not aligned.
- Abstain from manipulating God’s name to get something you want or avoid something you fear.
- If you bear Christ’s name in this world, do not misrepresent Him.