Organization Precedes Continuation
Jethro encouraged his son-in-law, Moses, to alter his leadership practices to focus on what God had called him to do. This simple yet significant change at Rephidim paved the way for what would happen at Sinai.
By Travis Agnew
June 4, 2023
- Jethro listened to Moses because of his respectful attitude and eager testimony (18:1-8).
- Jethro’s conversion to biblical faith included a sacrificial offering (18:9-12).
- Moses’ devotion to the LORD was distracted by the demands of others (18:13-16).
- Moses’ grueling responsibilities were burning himself out and wearing others out (18:17-18).
- Jethro taught the wisdom of one empowering some to meet the needs of all (18:19-23).
- Moses needed to organize his responsibilities to experience all God had planned for him (18:24-27).
- Maintain an attitude that keeps doors open for the gospel.
- Don’t be so prideful that you can’t accept counsel from unexpected sources.
- Overvaluing yourself will bottleneck progress, exhaust yourself, and limit others.
- Don’t fill your calendar with everyone’s expectations that you can’t fulfill God’s calling.